Experience the best of 8-Day Rwanda Gorillas and Wildlife Safari. Rwanda’s natural wonders and wildlife on this 8-day safari adventure. Combining the thrill of gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park with immersive wildlife encounters in Akagera National Park and Nyungwe Forest, this comprehensive itinerary offers an unforgettable journey through Rwanda’s diverse landscapes. Below, you’ll find mid-range accommodation options, a detailed day-by-day itinerary, inclusions, exclusions, and essential information on how to embark on this extraordinary safari.
Mid-Range Accommodation Options for 8-Day Rwanda Gorillas and Wildlife Safari.
- Le Bambou Gorilla Lodge (Volcanoes National Park): Nestled in the foothills of Volcanoes National Park, this lodge offers comfortable rooms with panoramic views. Its rustic charm and warm hospitality make it an ideal base for your gorilla trek and wildlife safari.
- Akagera Game Lodge (Akagera National Park): Situated within Akagera National Park, this lodge provides cozy rooms with modern amenities. The lodge’s serene surroundings offer a peaceful retreat after your day of wildlife exploration.
- Nyungwe Top View Hill Hotel (Nyungwe Forest): Perched on a hill, this hotel offers comfortable accommodation with stunning views of Nyungwe Forest. Its convenient location allows for easy access to the park’s attractions.
Day 1: Arrival in Rwanda
Your adventure begins with your arrival at Kigali International Airport. Upon landing, you’ll be warmly greeted by your guide, who will accompany you throughout your journey. A scenic drive will transport you to your chosen mid-range lodge near Volcanoes National Park.
After settling into your comfortable accommodation, you’ll savor a delightful lunch, taking in the tranquility of your surroundings. In the evening, as you prepare for the upcoming gorilla trek and wildlife safari, you will enjoy a delicious dinner at the lodge’s restaurant.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking (Volcanoes National Park)
An early start to the day ensures you’re fueled with a hearty breakfast before heading to the Volcanoes National Park headquarters. Here, you’ll receive a comprehensive briefing on gorilla trekking etiquette and safety measures.
As the sun climbs higher in the sky, you’ll embark on your gorilla trek through the bamboo-covered slopes of the Virunga Mountains. This thrilling journey takes you into the heart of the gorillas’ natural habitat, offering a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to observe and photograph these magnificent creatures.
In the evening, you’ll return to your mid-range lodge, where you can share the day’s awe-inspiring experiences with fellow travelers over a sumptuous dinner.
Day 3: Golden Monkey Trek (Volcanoes National Park)
After breakfast, you’ll embark on a golden monkey trek in the bamboo forests of Volcanoes National Park. These playful primates offer a unique and entertaining experience, providing a deeper understanding of Rwanda’s rich biodiversity.
In the afternoon, you’ll have the option to explore the nearby Musanze Caves or visit the vibrant local markets for cultural insights. Your day concludes with dinner at the lodge.
Day 4: Akagera National Park
After breakfast and check-out, you’ll embark on a scenic drive to Akagera National Park, Rwanda’s premier wildlife destination. Upon arrival, you’ll check in to Akagera Game Lodge, where you’ll enjoy a delicious lunch.
In the afternoon, you’ll set out on your first thrilling game drive, exploring the diverse landscapes of Akagera and encountering a rich array of wildlife, including elephants, buffalo, lions, and numerous bird species. As the sun sets, you’ll return to the lodge for a relaxing evening and a sumptuous dinner.
Day 5: Akagera Game Drives
Today is dedicated to further exploration of Akagera National Park. After a hearty breakfast, you’ll embark on both morning and afternoon game drives, maximizing your chances of encountering the park’s diverse wildlife.
Your experienced guide will lead you through the park’s savannahs, wetlands, and woodlands, providing insights into the unique ecosystems and helping you spot elusive animals. A picnic lunch amidst the natural beauty of Akagera will add to the adventure.
In the evening, you’ll return to the lodge for a restful night’s sleep and a delectable dinner.
Day 6: Nyungwe Forest National Park
After breakfast and check-out, you’ll depart for Nyungwe Forest National Park, a haven for primates and birdwatchers. Upon arrival, you’ll check in to Nyungwe Top View Hill Hotel and enjoy lunch at the hotel.
In the afternoon, you’ll have the opportunity to visit the nearby tea plantations and learn about Rwanda’s tea industry. Dinner will be served at the hotel.
Day 7: Chimpanzee Tracking and Canopy Walk (Nyungwe Forest)
Your day begins with an early morning breakfast, followed by a chimpanzee-tracking adventure in Nyungwe Forest. This pristine rainforest is home to a thriving chimpanzee population, and you’ll have the chance to observe these fascinating primates in their natural habitat.
In the afternoon, you’ll embark on a thrilling canopy walk, suspended high above the forest floor. This aerial adventure offers breathtaking views and a unique perspective on the forest’s flora and fauna. Dinner will be served at the hotel.
Day 8: Departure
After breakfast and check-out, you’ll bid farewell to the lush landscapes of Nyungwe Forest National Park. A scenic drive will take you back to Kigali International Airport, where you will depart with cherished memories of gorilla trekking, wildlife safaris, and rainforest adventures.
– Accommodation: Seven nights in selected mid-range lodges and hotels.
– Meals: All meals from lunch on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 8.
– Transport: Transfers from the airport to the lodges, as well as transportation for activities and between parks.
– Permits: Gorilla trekking permit, golden monkey trekking permit, chimpanzee tracking permit, and canopy walk fees.
– Guides: Experienced guides for gorilla trekking, primate tracking, game drives, and forest adventures.
– Flights: International flights to and from Kigali, Rwanda.
– Visa: Any necessary visa fees.
– Travel Insurance: Comprehensive travel insurance is highly recommended.
– Personal Expenses: Souvenirs, additional activities, and personal expenses.
– Gratuities: Tips for guides, lodge staff, and drivers (recommended but discretionary).
How to Get There for 8-Day Rwanda Gorillas and Wildlife Safari
To embark on this extraordinary gorilla trekking and wildlife safari adventure. Book an international flight to Kigali International Airport in Rwanda. Upon arrival, your tour operator or lodge will welcome you and provide transportation to your selected mid-range accommodations near Volcanoes National Park. After completing your double gorilla trek, exploring Akagera National Park, and immersing yourself in Nyungwe Forest, you’ll be transferred back to Kigali International Airport for your departure, concluding your memorable journey in Rwanda.