Gorilla Trekking starting from Buhoma sector. Bwindi impenetrable national park located in the south western part of Uganda harbors half of the gorilla species in the world.
Uganda is one of the few countries with the endangered gorilla species in the whole world. You can find these in Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga national park.
Uganda has a total number of 19 gorilla families of which Bwindi as a whole has 18 gorilla families in total. This leaves Mgahinga national park with just one gorilla family. Bwindi national park is the only park in the whole world which consists about 400 gorillas, the highest number of the gorillas remaining in the whole world. The park is located in the south western part of Uganda. Bwindi national park has got four sectors; Ruhija, Buhoma, Rushaga and Nkuringo sector.
Bwindi impenetrable national park is located in the south western part of Uganda harboring half of the gorilla species in the world. These sectors harbor different gorilla families that have been the most attracting bit of Bwindi national park. Buhoma sector is one of the most visited gorilla sector located in the northern part of Bwindi impenetrable national park harboring the endangered species of mountain gorillas.
Trekking here is Buhoma sector is done on 4 different habituated gorilla groups namely;
• Mubare gorilla family; this was the first gorilla family habituated in Bwindi national park that was opened for trekking in 1993. The group has 9 members in it however; there were 12 members of this gorilla family initially
• Habinyanja gorilla family; this was habituated in 1997 and open for trekking in 1999 which had one of the largest group members of 30 members. The group has 18 members with two silver backs currently open for trekking.
• Rushegura gorilla family; the group split from Habinyanja group in 2002 who left with 8 members. The group is dominated by kabukojo with 16 gorilla members is the group available for trekking.
• Katwe gorilla family; this is one of the newest family which is comprised of 7 gorilla individuals including 1 silver back, 4 adults females and 2 babies.
Trekking here starts in the morning as any other sector in Bwindi national park with a briefing at the headquarters. Here, there are rule and regulations, tips and instructions given to the tourists to put into consideration while trekking. The group consists of 8 people-depending on age, physical fitness, personal preferences among others. Thereafter, trekking begins with the help of a guide/tracker.
Trekking takes 2 to 6 hours of hiking into the jungle. Once you spot the gorillas, you will have an hours’ time to watch them in their natural habitat.
Additionally, you will take photos, record moments and watch them carry out their day to day activities.
Gorilla trekking permit and prices.
All gorilla trekking permits cost the same money in Uganda, gorilla trekking requires you to have a permit and this is the only way that you can go trekking. You should book the gorilla trekking permit in advance before you depart from your country to avoid inconveniences and disappointments especially during the peak seasons of the year when there is less rainfall. The months of January, February, June, July August and September usually sell out very fast and therefore you should book in time. A Gorilla trekking Permit costs US 700$ for the foreign nonresidents, US 600$ for foreign residents and UG 250000 for east African residents. You can book and make payments from the Uganda Wildlife Authority.
Booking for the gorilla permits is very easy as long as you trust Pamoja tours and travel company with your bookings.
- We will check the validity of the permits depending on your planned dates of coming.
- Incase they’re available, will reserve the permit for seven days when you have to pay for them.
- You will then send us your payment invoice for us to secure your permit.
- When the permit has been secured, we will then send you scanned copies of receipts from Uganda Wildlife Authority.
Best time to go for trekking in Buhoma sector.
The months of January, February, June, July, august and September present the best time for trekking when there is less rainfall or no rainfall expected to interrupt you during your trek. However, the fact that Bwindi national park is in the tropics, expect rainfall anytime of the year.
The rainy season can also be the best for trekking because the gorillas don’t move a lot. This is because food is readily available in abundance making them easy to trace and see. On top of that, there are discounts on the accommodation facilities in the different lodges.
Trekking should always find you prepared with your rain jackets, waterproof hiking boots, long sleeved dull shirt, long trousers, a pair of gardening glove, insect repellants, a hat and sunscreen, camera and binoculars.
Accessing the sector
You can either get to Buhoma sector using air or road means of transport. Once you organize your tour with us, there is no need to worry about transport. Using road transport directly from Kampala to Bwindi forest in Buhoma sector will take you approximately 8-9 hours’ drive, there are some stop overs like the equator for refreshments.
You can also drive from Kigali Rwanda to Bwindi which is a 4-5 hours ride using Cyanika or katuna boarders.
While using air, there are scheduled and chattered flights that are organized in Kajjansi airstrip which fly directly to Kihihi airstrip Kanungu which is just a 2 hours flight. It’s from here that you continue to your final destination in Buhoma sector.
Accommodation facilities in Buhoma
The sector has got a number of accommodation facilities which offer various services, the best for customer’s comfort. You can stay in any lodge you wish which fits your budget and interests. These facilities vary in prices and services starting from budget accommodation, midrange accommodation and luxury accommodation. While staying in Buhoma, consider some of the following lounges like; mahogany springs lounge, Bwindi lodge, gorilla forest camp, Bwindi volcanoes lounge, clouds mountain gorilla lodge and Buhoma lounge
- Rushaga gorilla camp
- Four gorilla lounge
- Rushaga gorilla havens lounge of Rushaga
- Nkuringo Bwindi gorilla lounge
- Clouds mountain gorilla lounge
- Trekker’s tavern lounge
- Bakiga lounge
- Lake Bunyonyi lounges in Kabale
Ensure that you book your accommodation in time to avoid disappointments especially during the peak seasons of the year.