Filming in Uganda National Parks

Just like any other filming activity, filming in national parks requires the filming crew to have obtained all the necessary permits and permission. Uganda has a total of 10 national parks and to film in any of the following national parks, you need to process the Uganda Wildlife Authority(UWA) filming contract including the above including some fees. National parks in Uganda include the following; Mt Rwenzori national park, Mt Elgon national park, Semiliki national park, Lake Mburo national park, Kidepo valley national park, Queen Elizabeth national park, Murchison falls national park, Kibale national park, Mgahinga national park and Bwindi impenetrable national park.

Pamoja Tours and Travel Company will help to organize your filming fees and permission to film in any of the top national parks in East Africa. Furthermore, we can handle all the pre-production activities like processing filming permits, press accreditation, assigning the right fixers for your shoot, booking your accommodation and transport as well as clearing all your filming equipment into East African countries.

Press accreditation permit
This is like the gate pass for the filming crew which is a must-have for the crew intending to conduct any filming in Uganda. These cards are issued by the Uganda Media Council which is valid for about 30 days up to two years from the date of issuing.

For a member to acquire the card, you are supposed to first fill the form given, FORM G where the members of the crew fill the form with the necessary details along with the copy of scanned passport and your recent passport photo. Note that the bios page is the page that each member is supposed to scan for the passport case. The team leader is also supposed to send a detailed synopsis of the film that is intended to be shot in Uganda in a specified period of time.

Furthermore, the media accreditation fees should be attached for all the crew members in a specified period of time as mentioned below:

  • Each crew member will pay 175$ for a period not exceeding 30 days of the member’s stay.
  • Each member will pay a fee of 225$ for a period beyond 30 days up to six months of stay.
  • Each member will pay a fee of 325$ for a period of 2 years of the member’s stay.

After all this is sent, we will then contact you upon approval by the Uganda media council and further more help you to secure the filming permits for all of your crew members allowing you to carry out filming in Uganda National Parks.

NOTE: Accreditation from the media center must be obtained before any filming is carried out.

Location filming permit
The second permit is a bit hard to obtain since there is a lot of paper work which is in a specific procedure however, Pamoja Tours and Travel Company is here to help you acquire all the necessary permits needed to allow you film in the national parks of Uganda.

The location permit allows the crew members to film in all the national parks where you plan to shoot from. Since these national parks are under the Uganda Wildlife Authority, here is a fee that is charged that is to say; 40% filming fee of the activity you intend to film and 10% monitoring fee. All these fees are to be paid to the Uganda Wildlife Authority and here, the UWA will draft an agreement between you and them on which you are supposed to append your signatures in the agreement of the terms and conditions indicated.

Fill in an application
Applications should be made using the Uganda Wildlife Authority official application form only, all film requests should be sent three weeks prior to start date of filming. Here the Uganda Wildlife Authority will acknowledge the receipt of all application within 24 hours and not later than 48 hours.

All film requests will be evaluated on a case by case basis, taking into account the various sensitivities and other commitments of the protected areas but with a flexible approach aimed at helping filmmakers meet their objectives.

Agree on a fee
No filming will take place without any payment processed. The Uganda Wildlife Authority agrees with the party where once all the necessary documentation is completed and that all the parties have agreed on the fee and the payment has been made to the UWA, filming can take place.

There is a refundable fee that is deposited of about 1000$ which is paid and will be returned once the film makers have provided at least two copies of DVD of the recorded program to the UWA to be broadcast following the first transmission. Note that the DVDs shall only be used for educational and non-profit making purposes only.

Arial shooting is approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and Uganda Peoples Defense Forces (UPDF).

Sign legally binding contract and receive the permits

Once the film makers have agreed on the fee and payment is done, there is a contract that is signed between the UWA and the film makers. This can be witnessed by the filmmaker in person or a representative/attorney. Note that all documents must be sent by post.

The UWA will be happy if they have a meeting once the filming process is completed with the UWA official in order to discuss what worked and what didn’t work right so that the services for the film makers can be improved in Uganda for the good of the filming and the tourism sector of Uganda. After the meeting with the UWA official, he/she sends a report to the communications manager.

    Request a Quote:

    Select language »