Kenya, located in in the eastern part of Africa has some of the biggest tourism sector which is the second biggest source of revenue following agriculture. Kenya tourism board is responsible for maintaining the information concerning Kenyan tourism. Classic safaris have all been about nature where all wildlife is the star attraction followed by culture. However, in the recent years, there has been an effort of making humans and wildlife co-exist with each other through a process called habituation.
This habituation process is where wild animals are trained to co-exist with humans by making them used to human. The tourism influstructure and network is much developed in Kenya than in any other east African country with well managed national parks, highways, international and domestic connectivity and a very hospitable hotel and hospitality industry helping all tourists to enjoy the comfort in Kenya. Kenya won the best leisure destination award at the world travel fair in Shanghai, china in 2008. There is a number of other tourism attractions like the beach tourism, eco-tourism, sports tourism and the cultural tourism.
There are a number of beautiful places in Kenya which can be booked and these have the best and most hospitable environment for the tourist, example;
- Mbuyu lodge watamu
- Comfy palace guest house
- Villa rose kempinski
- Palacina the residence and the suites
- Hetel sonrisa
- Palm garden boutique hotel
- Fairview hotel
- Seawhispers inn
- Eka hotel Eldoret etc
The most significant tourism attractions in Kenya is the wildlife which can be seen on safaris, there is also beautiful landscapes with natural vegetation which are diverse in nature that is to say, Kenya is full of mountains, rivers and bordered by the ocean which gives Kenya beautiful beaches with white sand. The Kenyan desert, the tea estate, mountainous forests also give a chance to the climbers to take a climbing trip while exploring the wilderness. Mountains like;
- Mountain Kenya which is the highest in east Africa but also the second longest in Africa.
- Mount Elgon which emerges from about 6200 feet with beautiful cliffs like Wagagai.
- Mount Satima ( Lesatima) lies greatly from the eastern rift valley
- Mount Kulal
- Mount Ng’iro
- Mount Kinangop
- Mount Mtelo
- Mount kipipiri
- Cherang’any hills and chepenyal hills etc.
Kenyan wildlife is diverse and magnificent wild life attractions like the big five and the big nine like lions, leopard, cheetah, elephant, rhino, giraffe and many more. Such attractions can be seen on different adventures on a short term or long term adventures in places like;
- Mount Elgon national park
- Kaka mega forest national park
- Mt Longonot national park
- Central island national park
- Tana river primate reserve
- Meru national park
- Mombasa marine national park and reserve
- Maasai Mara national reserve
- Tsavo east and west national park
- Lake nakuru national park
- Mount Kenya national park
- Lamu island
- Malindi marine national park etc
The Kenyans too are also an asset of tourism who are naturally warm and welcoming to tourists and all foreigners. On top of that, they have a unique local culture and their cultural activities like the Maasai culture which has a unique life style, food, way of dressing and may other ways that may be of attraction.